By Dr. Duot Kezekiah Kuol
As I write this little piece today, I ought to briefly tell my completion of a successful medical journey from Makerere university, Kampala, Uganda to Mekelle University, Tigray, Ethiopia.
First of all, I give thanks to the Almighty God for His protection and good health to be able to accomplish all these till the end.
I would like to thank the stand-out people in support of my medical journey:
– My parents who brought me up morally to be the person who I am today.
– My siblings (the late Dau Kuol, Hanyak Kuol and Monica Ayak Kuol) who have been supporting me in all aspects of life. I’m lucky to have been born amongst you.
– Gen. Ajak Deng Reng, who has always been supporting me since high school till I completed my specialty training.
– My maternal uncle, Mading Dau Atem, who has been with me as brother, friend and relative through out my school journey, hitherto. You have really helped me in achieving my dreams.
– Angesom Teklay, who has been a brother to me since my stay in Ethiopia till I completed and graduated. You have really been a brother, and my late brother Dau would be proud of you.
– My relatives, friends and colleagues, who have supported me in one way or another, your efforts have been of good help and can never go unnoticed. I can’t mention all your names here as you know yourselves all of you.
– My senior surgeons, my colleagues and all the staff members of Ayder Comprehensive Specialized Hospital, Mekelle University, your mentorship and hospitality will always be in my heart. I thank you all.
For all those I didn’t mention by names, you have really stood with me through those tough days in Kampala, trying to make our own future by resilience, courage and determination.
To my colleagues whom we spent sleepless nights at ACSH and MH helping patients, your heroic sacrifice will always be remembered as the lives you save continue to sing praises in your dreams.
To my fellow graduates (surgeons and other specialists), our mission has just started as I can see you are already doing wonderful jobs at your various work places. I’m sure you will be able to help patients who come your way to their full satisfaction with great professionalism. Let’s always keep in touch and keep updating ourselves as medicine is always changing with new discoveries in researches.
Finally, as we all know this won’t be our last celebration on your achievement archives, you will become subspecialists and professors in various fields, you can change the world guidelines with your own researches and outcomes.
May God reward you abundantly.