Shared by Ter Manyang Gatwich
The police gave us the following tips in the event the robbers (aka; Unknown Gunmen’ for the case of South Sudan) manage to enter onto our premises or inside our houses or counter us on our way out there. I hope they’re useful to you and can help save a life.
1. Robbers typically launch their attacks from the backdoor (normally kitchen doors) because they are usually not fortified. Get good doors for your kitchen. Use crossbars at the back or “burglarproof” behind the doors inside the house. If you have keys to the burglarproof, never leave them inside the lock. Where possible, use a padlock in addition to the keys. The purpose is to make it as difficult as possible for the robbers to enter into the house and to buy you time to call somebody for help.
2. When you hear someone breaking your doors, unless you are absolutely sure your actions will prevent entry into the house, don’t try to be a hero by pushing back behind the doors (they may shoot at you through the doors), or putting heavy items like freezers or furniture behind it (they get more angry and when they are able to finally enter they are more likely to be violent). Better they get what they want than your dear life and that of the loved ones.
3. If you sleep without clothes or with minimal clothing, dress up as soon as you hear them. For the women especially, don’t stay in your nighties or wrappers, wear trousers and an closed top.
4- Also have some basic techniques of ‘where to punch’ in case someone jumps on top of you. There are short courses out there for self-defence against rapists or robbers.
5. If you call someone on the phone for help, keep the phone far from you as you don’t want it to be known that you’ve done so.
6. Look for your main power switch and plunge the building into darkness (it disorients them and may cause them to run away).
7. If you have a gun, registered or not, use it but only if you’re sure you will do damage. This isn’t the time for warning shots! Killing an intruder on your premises in defence of yourself and property is a legitimate legal defence. Same goes for the use of any other weapon e.g. knives.
8. Know how to use your domestic weapons properly and effectively.
9. When the robbers manage to enter give them whatever they want. Don’t hide anything. Don’t try to be a hero or to negotiate with them.
10. Don’t look at them directly (or don’t let them see you doing so). If you know any of them don’t show any signs of recognition and don’t mention the person’s name. However memorise whatever features you can to help with identification and investigation.
11. When they finally leave your house do not chase after them..
12. Be your neighbour’s keeper and if you hear any breaks in at their house, call the police for assistance.
13. *When robbers enter your compound, do not put on any light in your room. Put on the outside lights but keep the inside lights totally off so that the robbers do not see you*.
14. Robbers can also use your tap, pumping machines or generating sets outside to attract you by either putting on or off as the case may be so that whenever you come to check, they will arrest you and use you to enter the house. So don’t always be quick to come when such appliances went on or off.
15. Another new method is for them to be quarrelling and arguing among themselves and you may think it is from your neighbour and ones your come out to check, you are used to gain assess to the house.
Someone may need this! Please, spread the news to family and friends.