The finer details of the New Curriculum System that is effective in January 2018:
2 years – Kindergarten,
6 years Primary school: 3 years Lower Primary and 3 years Upper Primary,
3 years Junior Secondary,
3 years Senior Secondary and
3 years University)
1. 8-4-4 is being phased out systematically.
2. The New System has No provision for Baby Class (which usually accommodates children below 4 years).
* Children will join Pre-Primary 1 at 4 Years and Pre-Primary 2 at 5 Years.
3. They will then undertake a Formative Assessment before joining Grade 1.
* They will proceed to Grade 2 and Grade 3 in consecutive years ending Lower Primary School.
4. They will undertake another Formative and National Assessment before joining Grade 4.
* They will consecutively proceed to Grade 5 and 6, ending Upper Primary School.
* Grade 6 which will be equivalent of the current class 6 will be the end of their Primary School life. (Currently class 8).
5. The students will undertake another Formative Assessment before joining Grade 7.
* Consecutively proceeding to Grade 8 and 9. That brings an end to Junior High School.
6. The students will then undertake a Formative and National Assessment.
* Upon completion they have a choice to proceed with Technical Education or join Senior High School.
* By joining Senior High School, the students will proceed to Grade 10, 11 and 12 respectively.
* Upon completion of Senior School, the students join university.
7. Students currently in class 3 to Class 8 are proceeding with 8-4-4 before it is completely phased out.
8. The New System which will start with the children who will join class 1 and 2 respectively in 2018 is more Talent based than Academic based.
9. Advise given: At 3 years if you must enroll your baby in a school, go for one that meets the New System requirements for Day Care.
* No teachers will attend to them because no academic learning should take place in Day Care Centres.
* In their place will be Care – givers.
* Children will learn Oral Skills, Creativity Skills, Social Skills, Potty Training, Behaviour and Sports.
* Go for a school with adequate space/ playing grounds. Not only beautiful classrooms.
* Learning will be majorly outdoor.
LET ALL TEACHERS BE AWARE.